Acupuncture is a treatment method for various physical and mental health issues. In this method fine needles are inserted at specific points of the skin along with lines of energy. In case of fibromyalgia treatment these needles are inserted in tender points. This technique is resulted to reduce many chronic pains, so patients with fibromyalgia also prefer this technique for treatment.
Method of acupuncture for fibromyalgia treatment
The theory of this therapy is that it works by channelizing the energy to correct pathways. This energy is also known as life-force energy which is called as “qi or chi”. Qi flows through lines of energy called meridians in whole body each of line is corresponded with each organ of our body. Problem in the flow of this energy in meridian lines is directly linked with health related issue.
The method contains these necessary actions as:
- First doctor check the pulse rate from different spots of the wrist.
- A tongue check test like the color, size, coating and texture of the tongue is also tested before the therapy.
- After this examination doctor insert the fine needles to various depths on specific tender points of the body for better flow of energy.
- These needles are checked by twisting or gently wiggling them to get them firm on the proper point.
- These needles are left on the place for 30 mints and stimulated by heat or electricity.
- After specific time period therapist pluck the needles out which definitely cause no pain but a little aches.
- That way stimulates some specific nerve fibers from that tender point to brain and spinal cord. This brings major changes in activities of brain and spinal cord, and send them message to release some specific hormones.
- The release of hormones blocks the pain and helps in feeling better.
Studies about acupuncture therapy
There are many researches held on the effectiveness of acupuncture therapy. An experimental study held on 50 patients under Mayo clinic resulted; patients going through acupuncture therapy feel less fatigue, pain and better sleep instead of the patients who are taking other treatments for fibromyalgia.
Another experimental study indicated that people who are taking acupuncture therapy experienced less intensity of symptoms like fatigue, pain, sleeplessness, stiffness etc after 6 acupuncture sessions. Other research held in china indicated that acupuncture therapy shows improvement in fibromyalgia symptoms and better the quality of life.
A study conducted on 50 female patients with fibromyalgia indicated the results that after taking the therapy they had achieved complete remission and improvement in their health. The results of many studies indicated that acupuncture therapy has positive impact in improvement of fibromyalgia’s symptoms.
The results of many studies indicated that acupuncture therapy has positive impact in improvement of fibromyalgia’s symptoms.
Effectiveness of acupuncture therapy
According to many researches and practitioners, acupuncture therapy has been proved effective. As it helps in overcoming and lessen the intensity of the fibromyalgia symptoms. According to the doctors, this therapy is best to relieve symptoms and has long lasting impacts. It also helps in better quality of life.
Long term effects of acupuncture
Studies indicated that acupuncture therapy has long lasting impacts on health. A research has indicated that acupuncture therapy has more significant pain reduction other than convectional medicines. Because this therapy channelizes the energy on correct pathway so it makes a significant difference in symptoms reduction. It betters the sleep and cognitive abilities. Other medications and antidepressants do not prove to be better treatment of fibromyalgia because of no specific drug therapy is present.
Quality of life after acupuncture therapy
Research evidences are present which improves that proper acupuncture therapy improves the pain and stiffness in patients of fibromyalgia. It is also effective for reducing fatigue, improving sleep and well being of individuals with fibromyalgia. The impact of one session lasts up to 1 month and remission of symptoms can be achieved by six months follow up. This therapy is safe and effective as it increase the better quality of life by reducing symptoms and helping to work in routine.
- In general it improves the quality of life by reducing pain, improving sleep, relaxing the mind and body, boosting the immune system, decreasing the fatigue, improving mental process like attention, and memory and improving overall mental and physical health.
- It can be used with other medications because it has no side effect with other medical drugs, has mild level adverse effects and low risk for any other disease.
Side effects of acupuncture therapy
Every therapy and treatment method has some side effects along with benefits. Acupuncture therapy also has some potential risks effects on patient’s health.
- These potential risk side effects are Infection from non-sterile needles may cause hepatitis or other infectious diseases. It may cause organ prick which is although a very rare occurrence, fainting and dizziness for a time period. A little ache on the body parts and bruising may also be felt on after the therapy. Other than these symptoms bleeding or localized skin infection may also result because of this therapy. Pneumothorax is also one of the adverse effects of the therapy. In spite of all these symptoms patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease were at highest risk so this therapy is a complication for these patients.
- To avoid these adverse effects there are certain precautions which should be taken by therapists. As to use sterile needles for therapy and dispose them off after therapy. Expertises are required to place and pluck the needles to ignore the skin infections, bleeding and organ pricking in this therapy.
Fibromyalgia is a disease related to chronic pain with no specific diagnostic pattern and treatment methods. Acupuncture is although a safe and long lasting therapy for reduction of fibromyalgia symptoms. This therapy is effective in general and safe to treat the pain. It has better impacts and best for healing. Although it has some side effects but these effects can be manage with proper help. It can be taken with a combination of other treatments as it has no negative reaction with other treatments. After one or two sessions if patient is finding no relief in pain and symptoms then it must be discontinue, ignoring the adverse effects of the therapy.